Best Electric log splitter review, buying guide and safety rules :
Splitting logs with an axe take a lot of time and effort. A large stack of logs would be difficult to split manually. Instead, you can make your life bit easier by using an electronic log splitter: a machine that is used to split woods into two equal parts.
Log splitters can be categorized into three different sections: electric, manual and gas. Electric splitters are affordable than gas.The only drawback is that you need to connect it to a power source to operate. Small electric splitters are intended for home uses. If you are going to use at home, then electric log splitter would be a correct option for you.
A variety of log splitters are available in the market. We have picked out top 5 best log splitters to make your task a little bit easier. Let’s have a look at the list :
|Snow Joe LJ602E Log splitter||5 tons|
|WEN 56207 Log splitter||6.5 tons|
|YARDMAX YS0552 Electric Log splitter||5 tons|
|Boss Industrial ES7T20 Log splitter||7 tons|
|Powerhouse Log Splitter||9 tons|
**5. Snow Joe LJ602E 15-Amp Electric Log Splitter with Hydraulic RAM : **
Comes with one 15 Amp motor, LJ602E is a portable log splitter. It is best for home use. You can split a firewood log of size 10 inches by 20.5 inches. Always make sure that the logs that are used meet the proper required size. The hydraulic oil of this splitter needs to be changed after 150 hours of continuous use. You can use SHELL Tellus 22,MOBIL DTE 11,ARAL Vitam GF 22,BP Energol HLP-HM 22 or other equivalent hydraulic oil. The motor can generate a driving force of 5 tons. The Sun Joe LJ602E electric log cutter can be moved to different places easily using its rear wheels. This electric log splitter is ETL approved. It offers several safety features including one overload circuit reset button and one dual-handed safety switch.
- 15 Amp motor, 5 tons driving force
- Rear wheels for easy movement
- ETL approved machine
- Works with 10 inches by 20.5 inches long
- Overload circuit reset button and one dual-handed safety switch
4. WEN 56207 6.5-Ton Electric Log Splitter with Stand :
Features a powerful 15 Amp 2.5 HP motor, this log splitter can split logs up to 10 inches in diameter and 20.5 inches in length. Always make sure that your extension cord can handle 15A of current.For splitting a short log, you can use its ram limiting ring to set the new distance the ram will retract. This allows shorter travel time for the ram. The hydraulic fluid need to be changed every 6 months or after 150 hours of use. This log splitter can produce over 13000 lbs of cracking pressure. Using the stand, you can place the machine up to 34 inches above the ground. For easy transportation, it comes with one pull handle and 5.5 in never-flat wheels.Moreover, it is a two-handed operated machine for maximizing the user safety.
- 15 A, 2.5 HP motor. Produces over 13000 lbs of pressure.
- Two-handed operated machine.
- Pull handle and wheels for transportation.
- Ram limiting ring.
- Split logs up to 10 inches x 20.5 inches
3. YARDMAX YS0552 5 Ton Electric Log Splitter with stand and log tray :
YARDMAX YS0552 is a 5 ton RAM force Log splitter, best for outdoor or indoor use. The cylindrical time is only 16 seconds. It works with 20.5-inch length and 10-inch diameter logs. The motor is of 15 Amp. It comes with one stand. You can either work on the ground or in standing position. It is a two-handed log splitter and only a minimum assembly is required for the stand.One more advantage of this machine is that you can adjust the stroke of the cylinder. For short logs, the cycle time will be reduced.
- 5-ton log splitter.
- Stand to operate in standing position.
- Adjustable cylinder stroke.
- 15 Amp motor.
- Works with 20.5 inches length and 10 inches diameter logs.
2. Boss Industrial ES7T20 Electric Log Splitter :
Boss Industrial ES7T20 log splitter is one of the best, affordable log splitters with a capability to deliver 7 tons of power.ES7T20 can work with logs of size 20.5 inches long and 10 inches in diameter. It is one of the easiest log splitters to use, you can use it one-handed. It is powered by one 2 HP, 1500 watts motor.The cycle time is around 14 seconds and its automatic ram return system makes the process easier. The hydraulic reservoir is of 0.75 gallons capacity.Always check the hydraulic liquid periodically. If oil is reduced, add oil until the level is reached. It is lightweight and can be easily moved to different places easily using the pull handle and back wheels. It should be connected to a power supply of 115 Volts,60 Hz AC current.
- 7 tons of power
- Works with 20.5 inches long x 10 inches diameter logs
- 14 seconds Cycle time
- Automatic ram return system
- 0.75 gallons hydraulic reservoir.
1. Powerhouse Log Splitters XM-580 9 Ton Electric Log Splitter :
Powerhouse XM-580 log splitter features a 3.5 HP, 2200 watts motor that can produce 9 tons of pressure. Its built-in safety design keeps user’s hands away in the safe distance while operation. The recommended log dimension is 52 cm length and 30 cm diameter. But for all splitters, hard logs with knots may take more time to split. The steel wedge of the machine offers a durable splitting surface. It uses one new patented hydraulic system that can increase the torque by 45%. Like other machines we have reviewed, XM-580 also comes with one pulling handle and two wheels for easy portability.
- Easy splitting with 9 tons of force.
- Durable splitting surface.
- 52cm x 30cm log size.
- Pulling handle and wheels
- 3.5 HP and 2200 watts motor.
Buying Guide for a log splitter :
1. Tonnage value: Tonnage is the amount of pressure each log splitter can exert. Normally, a small log-splitter can exert 5 to 7 tons of pressure.
2. Portability: Log splitters should be easy to move. You may want to keep it in a safe place after use. Or, for electric splitters, you need power connection and what if your extension is not long enough? So, always check for log splitters with wheels. All the splitters we have reviewed above has wheels and pulling handle.
3.Motor: Your log splitter should be capable of dealing with different types of woods. That’s why you should opt for a machine that has enough power to Check for the total RAM, Amps, splitting force and horsepower.
4.Cycle time: Cycle time means the time taken by the ram to reach its starting position. A machine with a small cycle time can split a large number of logs in less time. Around 15 seconds is enough for home users.
5.Safety: Almost all log splitter comes with safety measure. Two-handed operation is required to use most of the models, so both hands are kept away from the main part of the machine. But we do recommend you to take extra precautions while using a log splitter.
Safety rules :
1. Always wear the proper safety hard-toed shoes, gloves and eye protection gear while using the log splitter.
2. Never allow children to operate.
3. Always make sure the extension cord you are using is in good condition.
4. When the splitter is running, don’t put your hand in the moving area.
5. Never wear loose clothes or any ornaments that can get entangled while operating the log splitter.
6. Check for the hydraulic liquid before use. spilt oil may cause your hand to slip.
7. Each log splitter comes with an operation manual. Read it before use.
8. Don’t operate it under the influence of drug, alcohol or any other medication.
9. Block the wheels to prevent movement while in operation.
10. Never try to cross-split a log and don’t load it while the ram or wedge is in motion.
We hope that the guide and all of the log splitters we have shown above will help you to make your choice easier. If you need more information or have any other queries, don’t hesitate to drop a comment below.